Get cheap bulk ammo at Lucky Gunner

Emergency Essentials/BePrepared

who and what

Everything else

who and what

Postby Treehugger » Sat May 26, 2012 10:31 pm

So, the Zombie appoclipse comes, how do we as a group keep in touch, and what information would you share and what information would you not share ?

I plan on talking to Fastback and Doo Dah, and other Hams on amature radio, perhpas monitor FRS and CB for intel, and with this group I may would share HOW to do things, but never my current location or current status of reserves. I may would meet to discuss in person, but i would censor anything that would attract the wrong crowd.
Treehugger

Re: who and what

Postby Doo Dah1 » Sun May 27, 2012 5:33 am

That pretty well nails it down. Organization of a group will make life a lot simpler for getting anything done. For people with kids group organization is critical.
Doo Dah1
Prepper
Prepper

Postby m1able » Mon May 28, 2012 6:10 am

One thing that bugs me about being a ham, is that if we were discussing something during an emergency or zombie time, anyone can type your call letters in and know exactly where your home location is. Folks with ham radio seem more likely to be prepared than the general population at large. Am I looking at that wrong?
m1able
Prepper
Prepper

Postby fastback65 » Mon May 28, 2012 7:17 am

I think you are looking at it exactly right. This is one of the reasons I am dragging my feet on a preparedness net. All one has to do is either look up your call sign on QRZ or the FCC website, and they have your location. QRZ even provides a map.
"Never, under any circumstances, ever become a refuge... Die if you must, but die on your home turf with your face to the wind, not in some stinking hellhole 2,000 kilometers away, among people you neither know nor care about." - Ragnar Benson
fastback65
Site Admin

Postby Doo Dah1 » Mon May 28, 2012 9:16 am

How many MZB's are going to keep records of what they hear. How many hams are future MZB's. How many would have the resources to do anything in a dooms day situation. After all, they don't have a clue. Heck, they would be too busy fighting among themselves when SHTF. That in itself would up our odds greatly. Some of the ones that saw the light and organized well enough to survive could be an asset to us. As far as the net goes we could just have a check-in net without discussing what we know each of us is doing. No need to invite future conflict just in case. But I'm an old fart so what do I know. Sure do wish I had a gun.
Doo Dah1
Prepper
Prepper

Postby HC5CA » Mon May 28, 2012 3:04 pm

We could do the net on 11 meters SSB or the MURS VHF frequencies. No need for callsigns on those bands.

On 11 meters, we could run horizontal polarization. Most of the operators there use verticals, and there is around 20dB in RX/TX attenuation between those with vertical antennas, and those with horizontal ones. Besides, very few of them use SSB at all, so the chance of unwanted listeners would be minimized.

Any horizontal HF antenna such as a dipole or loop could be used if an antenna tuner is utilized. For example, I've got a 75 meter full wave loop up around 30 ft in the backyard, and use an old Johnson Matchbox to tune everything from 3.5-29.7 Mc with it. I've done the same thing with a 75 meter dipole, so there are lots of antenna choices for this sort of operation.

Just my 2-cents...

Steve

Steve

"Give a man a fish and he will eat for a day; teach a man to fish and he will eat for a lifetime; give a man religion and he will die praying for a fish." :-)
HC5CA
Master Prepper
Master Prepper

Postby fastback65 » Mon May 28, 2012 4:41 pm

I would like to try to contact you
Steve. I can hear 11 meters but my Antenna is horizontally polarized.
"Never, under any circumstances, ever become a refuge... Die if you must, but die on your home turf with your face to the wind, not in some stinking hellhole 2,000 kilometers away, among people you neither know nor care about." - Ragnar Benson
fastback65
Site Admin

Postby HC5CA » Mon May 28, 2012 4:55 pm

Sure thing. You can still hear skip without much of a problem as the signals go back and forth between polarization states as they are reflected off the ionosphere. So, they run an even chance of being either polarization when you pick them up.

The local stuff that is vertically polarized will come in too, but it will be around 20dB down from what it would be if you were running a vertically polarized antenna as their polarization state remains constant.

I used to run a Moonraker, and could switch between vertical and horizontal polarization on it. While picking up skip, I would often get two sets of very strong stations when switching from vertical to horizontal. That always fascinated me.

What frequency would you like to get in touch with me on. I can go anywhere on HF, but don't have anything up for VHF at the moment. Also, I'm sending my new phone number to your message box. I think its changed since I last gave it to you.

Steve

"Give a man a fish and he will eat for a day; teach a man to fish and he will eat for a lifetime; give a man religion and he will die praying for a fish." :-)
HC5CA
Master Prepper
Master Prepper

Postby medicmike » Wed May 30, 2012 12:01 pm

m1able wrote:One thing that bugs me about being a ham, is that if we were discussing something during an emergency or zombie time, anyone can type your call letters in and know exactly where your home location is. Folks with ham radio seem more likely to be prepared than the general population at large. Am I looking at that wrong?

If it's "zombie time" I'm not too worried about it. Likely the internet and or power grid will be down. FCC does allow the use of a PO box, that is a good way to not pinpoint your location.
"Stand your ground. Don't fire unless fired upon, but if they mean to have a war, let it begin here."
Captain John Parker at Lexington Green
medicmike
Survivor
Survivor

Postby Curtis Loew » Fri Jun 01, 2012 6:18 pm

If and when the SHTF I would probably not be using a call sign. As stated you can track people by that info. Somewhere between 10 and 11 meters would probably be a good place on SSB. A small horizontal beam antenna will have a decent range to it and at a distance anyone in a mobile would not be able to recieve it very good. Another thing is that it would not be a major deal to raise and lower it if need be.
If a contact freq is specified for such a time I would think it should be a PM type of thing and not out in the open.
About like be careful of who you let know how prepared you are...........or aren't.
Curtis Loew

Next

Return to Miscellaneous