Get cheap bulk ammo at Lucky Gunner

Emergency Essentials/BePrepared

who and what

Everything else

Re: who and what

Postby HC5CA » Sun Jun 03, 2012 2:47 am

"Somewhere between 10 and 11 meters would probably be a good place on SSB."

I need to dust off my old Cobra 135 and Siltronix VFO!

Steve

"Give a man a fish and he will eat for a day; teach a man to fish and he will eat for a lifetime; give a man religion and he will die praying for a fish." :-)
HC5CA
Master Prepper
Master Prepper

Postby Curtis Loew » Sun Jun 03, 2012 8:26 pm

HC5CA wrote:"Somewhere between 10 and 11 meters would probably be a good place on SSB."

I need to dust off my old Cobra 135 and Siltronix VFO!

FT 101 EE, EX and an Icom IC 730 have the band pretty much covered on this end. Of course many CB's as an option.
Cobra 135, good radio along with the Sillytronix....spent many hours on such rigs!!
Curtis Loew

Postby HC5CA » Mon Jun 04, 2012 5:28 am

I also used to spend lots of time on these kinds of rigs. It just wouldn't seem right to run "HF" without that kind of gear! Of course I'd probably need to dust off the JB 2000 to do it right... :-)

If all the rules were out of the window, though, I'd probably choose somewhere around 6.670 Mc during the day and 3.410 Mc at night to run NVIS local communications out to 500-1000 miles or so. 13.995 Mc would be good for reaching out further. Of course, you wouldn't want to operate on these frequencies unless it was a real emergency as the FCC frowns on that sort of thing and the fines are high for doing so from what I understand...

Those Yaesu 101s are indeed fine radios. I wish I still had my "twins" (FR 101 & FL 101).

Steve

"Give a man a fish and he will eat for a day; teach a man to fish and he will eat for a lifetime; give a man religion and he will die praying for a fish." :-)
HC5CA
Master Prepper
Master Prepper

Postby fastback65 » Mon Jun 04, 2012 7:17 am

Steve, I recently picked up a set of Drake C-Line twins. I got the meeter, antenna tuner, transmitter and receiver for 200.00. Really clean set. I still need the cabling to complete it. My Icom 7000 will operate most anywhere. I did the MARS/CAP mod on the Yaesu FT-1000d but it didn't change anything. What about operating on the Commercial AM Band for mass communicating after TEOTWAWKI. Somwhere around 1600 khz
"Never, under any circumstances, ever become a refuge... Die if you must, but die on your home turf with your face to the wind, not in some stinking hellhole 2,000 kilometers away, among people you neither know nor care about." - Ragnar Benson
fastback65
Site Admin

Postby HC5CA » Mon Jun 04, 2012 8:03 am

Wow, those C-Line Drakes are nice! You got a very good deal. :-)

The upper end of the AM BCB would work really well for local use out to a few hundred miles or better at night with 100 watts, I'd imagine. Of course, the range with 1500 watts would be quite further, and most amplifiers with 160 meter capability would probably tune at least part of that range. They key would be to get a good vertical antenna and ground radials installed for maximum range. Frequencies down that low seem to work best with verticals, but I have decent luck loading my 75 meter loop up on 160 meters. So, anything reasonable would probably work. Most of my stuff will transmit down to that frequency, too.

The old cordless telephone frequencies operated in the 1.64 Mc to 1.78 Mc range, and I remember hooking our cordless phone up to my 160 meter dipole when I was a kid back in the 80s and upping the range to about 6 miles. I think those old phones ran AM mode at about 50mw on the base part, so the the range potential is there.

There don't seem to be very many users above 1.710 Mc as most of the LORAN stations that used to operate there are gone. Sometimes I hear some Chinese SSB traffic in that range, but not very often. So, that would probably be a good range as I don't hear many other users, there.

I think it's actually legal to broadcast in most of this range under Part 15 of the FCC rules. However, the legal power output limit is pretty low. I'll check into this more and post what I find.

Steve

HC5CA
Master Prepper
Master Prepper

Postby HC5CA » Tue Jun 05, 2012 3:05 am

It appears that 100mW input to the final is the legal power limit to operate up to 1.710. However, there is no restriction on mode that I can find, so SSB should be good there... Up for a test? :-)

Steve

HC5CA
Master Prepper
Master Prepper

Postby fastback65 » Tue Jun 05, 2012 8:24 am

I don't know if I have an antenna that will work on 160. I have some extra tower, maybe I should buy an insulating section and radiate the tower. Somewhere around 143 feet would be a quarter wave.
"Never, under any circumstances, ever become a refuge... Die if you must, but die on your home turf with your face to the wind, not in some stinking hellhole 2,000 kilometers away, among people you neither know nor care about." - Ragnar Benson
fastback65
Site Admin

Postby HC5CA » Wed Jun 06, 2012 10:44 am

Shunt feeding your tower that way ought to work VERY well! Of course there's the ground radials, but you've got plenty of room for that. You'd definitely have a stout station!

Feeding the G5RV through a tuner ought to work, also. You probably wouldn't want to run over 50 watts or so through in the 160-meter range, though. Otherwise, you might smoke something.

I use a Palstar BT 1500A dedicated balanced-line tuner and ladder line to feed my 75 meter loop on 160. So, the compromise stuff will work. In my case, it doesn't work very well. However, it beats nothing. I've been thinking about building a top loaded vertical for 160. Lots of folks have had good results with this sort of antenna. Here's a link if y'all would like to check it out. http://www.hamuniverse.com/k6mm160metervertical.html

Steve

HC5CA
Master Prepper
Master Prepper

Postby fastback65 » Wed Jun 06, 2012 1:46 pm

I am going to try and load the G5RV and see what happens. I understand you can end feed a G5RV and with proper grounding it makes an OK 160 antenna. The link you sent looks interesting and I have a roll of wire, let me know if you build one, so I can watch.
fastback65
Site Admin

Postby HC5CA » Wed Jun 06, 2012 6:26 pm

I've got everything I need to build it except the PVC and paint. When I get that stuff (probably next week), I'll let you know. I figure even though this kind of antenna is inefficient, it will still be better than what I'm running on 160 right now. Sorta like running a 2 or 3 foot FireStik antenna on the CB band, length-wise for the frequency.

Steve

HC5CA
Master Prepper
Master Prepper

PreviousNext

Return to Miscellaneous