Get cheap bulk ammo at Lucky Gunner

Emergency Essentials/BePrepared

Just paid an INSANE amount of money for 22lr

Things that go bang in the dark

Just paid an INSANE amount of money for 22lr

Postby medicmike » Tue Aug 26, 2014 6:58 pm

No....not for me lol. I have enough put up that I feel comfortable. My neighbor, an 85 odd y/o fellow with COPD that can't get out of the house much asked me to run and pick some up for him. $50/brick for Thunderbolts (x2 bricks). I almost couldn't bring myself to do that for him. I told him I would give him a few hundred rounds out of my stock but he didn't want to take them from me (I think he felt like it would have been taking charity from me), he then turned around and offered to give me one of the bricks for my trouble, I refused btw. His grandson is coming to visit and he wanted to take him plinking on his backyard range with his Henry. Heck I though he was going to cry when I came walking through the door with that 1000 rounds of lr, he said he didn't figure he would ever see that much 22 in the same place ever again (and he may not have, his health being what it is).

The moral of the story......buy it cheap and stack it deep. Don't get caught in an ammo shortage!
"Stand your ground. Don't fire unless fired upon, but if they mean to have a war, let it begin here."
Captain John Parker at Lexington Green
medicmike
Survivor
Survivor

Re: Just paid an INSANE amount of money for 22lr

Postby fastback65 » Wed Aug 27, 2014 5:00 am

10cents a round for 22lr is awful. I remember as a kid, my cousin and I would walk to the Fruit Stand, down the highway from my Grandmother's and buy a box of 50 22lr for 50 cents. With that box, we could kill enough squirrels to keep us happy and fed. I should mention that I am 63 years old so that was about 50 years ago.
"Never, under any circumstances, ever become a refuge... Die if you must, but die on your home turf with your face to the wind, not in some stinking hellhole 2,000 kilometers away, among people you neither know nor care about." - Ragnar Benson
fastback65
Site Admin

Postby Treehugger » Fri Sep 26, 2014 9:08 pm

I am seriously thinking of getting a 22 hornet, just for plinking...
Treehugger

Postby HC5CA » Sat Sep 27, 2014 6:30 am

Those are some serious prices for .22LR!

I can remember buying the "cheap stuff" at Walmart back in 1994 for $5.00 or so a brick (500). I wish I had stocked up back then.

The other day, I found a case of Norinco 7.62x39 out in mom's shed. I think I put it there back in the mid-90s, and about half of it was corroded (steel case) due to a roof leak. So, I dumped it in the sink a couple-hundred at a time and washed/wire brushed it with a stainless tire brush. I've shot about half of this ammo, and NO ftfs! The Chinese can make good stuff if they want to.

Point is, I almost wish I had found a case of .22 in the shed, instead, due to present day prices...

Steve

"Give a man a fish and he will eat for a day; teach a man to fish and he will eat for a lifetime; give a man religion and he will die praying for a fish." :-)
HC5CA
Master Prepper
Master Prepper

Postby medicmike » Mon Sep 29, 2014 4:55 pm

HC5CA wrote:Those are some serious prices for .22LR!

I can remember buying the "cheap stuff" at Walmart back in 1994 for $5.00 or so a brick (500). I wish I had stocked up back then.

The other day, I found a case of Norinco 7.62x39 out in mom's shed. I think I put it there back in the mid-90s, and about half of it was corroded (steel case) due to a roof leak. So, I dumped it in the sink a couple-hundred at a time and washed/wire brushed it with a stainless tire brush. I've shot about half of this ammo, and NO ftfs! The Chinese can make good stuff if they want to.

Point is, I almost wish I had found a case of .22 in the shed, instead, due to present day prices...

That old copper washed steel Norinco was sure good cheap shooting. I remember buying it in the 1440 rnd case (2 spam cans) for about $75 back in the late 80's. From what I hear the Norinco steel core is selling for a premium. Have a friend that laid up about 10 cases and has been trading it 1 round of Norinco to 5 rounds of Wolf. What I really miss is the surplus 7.62x51 that you could pick up at a gunshow for $140/case......sure burned a lot of that up in the "good old days"
"Stand your ground. Don't fire unless fired upon, but if they mean to have a war, let it begin here."
Captain John Parker at Lexington Green
medicmike
Survivor
Survivor

Postby HC5CA » Wed Oct 01, 2014 12:06 pm

Boy, prices were definitely better back in the good 'ol days!

I just wish we could import Russian military surplus 7.62X39 ammo like the Canadians do. They can buy it for around $160.00 per case of 1440 rounds. Of course, it is the steel core stuff that is prevented from importation into the USA due to its supposed bullet proof vest penetration characteristics.

If I lived in a place close to the border, I would be tempted to make some trips... :P

Steve

"Give a man a fish and he will eat for a day; teach a man to fish and he will eat for a lifetime; give a man religion and he will die praying for a fish." :-)
HC5CA
Master Prepper
Master Prepper

Return to Firearms