Get cheap bulk ammo at Lucky Gunner

Emergency Essentials/BePrepared

WASR-10 (AKM) Fresh Out of the Box Accuracy Test

Reach out and touch someone

WASR-10 (AKM) Fresh Out of the Box Accuracy Test

Postby HC5CA » Wed Dec 11, 2013 6:03 pm

Steve

"Give a man a fish and he will eat for a day; teach a man to fish and he will eat for a lifetime; give a man religion and he will die praying for a fish." :-)
HC5CA
Master Prepper
Master Prepper

Re: WASR-10 (AKM) Fresh Out of the Box Accuracy Test

Postby fastback65 » Thu Dec 12, 2013 6:14 am

Is that a Century gun?
"Never, under any circumstances, ever become a refuge... Die if you must, but die on your home turf with your face to the wind, not in some stinking hellhole 2,000 kilometers away, among people you neither know nor care about." - Ragnar Benson
fastback65
Site Admin

Postby HC5CA » Thu Dec 12, 2013 6:55 pm

Yes, that's one of the Century guns (at least I'm 99-percent sure). If I'm not mistaken, Century modifies all the WASR-10S when they come in for US sales. It's hard to f**k up an AK, so the Century-modified AK products are generally OK, in my opinion, despite the occasional bad press on the internet...

I definitely like my Zastava M70 (O-PAP). On this rifle, Century enlarges the mag well, adds a Tapco trigger, surplus mag, muzzle break, and a nice (yet greasy) surplus wood stock set/plastic grip when they come in. Boy, this thing is heavy like a milled one, though! :shock: That's good, though.

I still need to put a scope on mine as I hate to leave the side-mount unused, and I've never tried a scope on an AK. Any suggestions on something good out to 200 or so yards? If anything further out needs "hitting," I know a fellow with a .50... :D

Steve

"Give a man a fish and he will eat for a day; teach a man to fish and he will eat for a lifetime; give a man religion and he will die praying for a fish." :-)
HC5CA
Master Prepper
Master Prepper

Postby fastback65 » Mon Dec 16, 2013 5:00 pm

Ever used a RED dot scope. Palmetto State Armory has a Vortek Strike Fire with red/green dot, (selectable), on sale for 119.00 with coupon code STRIKE. They are normally 179.00 I have one on an AR if you want a look. They come with a 2X magnifier if you need it, and flip up lens caps.
"Never, under any circumstances, ever become a refuge... Die if you must, but die on your home turf with your face to the wind, not in some stinking hellhole 2,000 kilometers away, among people you neither know nor care about." - Ragnar Benson
fastback65
Site Admin

Postby HC5CA » Tue Dec 17, 2013 12:59 pm

That's a nice scope! I've never used a red dot type, but it looks interesting.

Steve

HC5CA
Master Prepper
Master Prepper

Postby medicmike » Tue Dec 17, 2013 2:09 pm

I had a pair of single stack WASR-10s that I picked up really cheap back in around 01 or 02. A little work with the mill took care of the single stack mag issue. They were great shooting rifles and I think I paid around $170 ea for them NIB...those were the days!
"Stand your ground. Don't fire unless fired upon, but if they mean to have a war, let it begin here."
Captain John Parker at Lexington Green
medicmike
Survivor
Survivor

Postby fastback65 » Tue Dec 17, 2013 2:17 pm

I know for a while they had problems with trigger slap and canted front sights.
fastback65
Site Admin

Postby HC5CA » Tue Dec 17, 2013 2:45 pm

The trigger slap can usually be cured by using a Tapco G2 trigger.(Mr. Clean was impressed by the G2 that Century put in the M70AB3.) I've put G2s on all my stuff...

I saw a video a while back that showed how to fix a canted sight. It involved removing the front sight block pins, and a rubber mallet... ;) If I was offered a WASR-10 on the cheap, I'd definitely give it a try.

I think the Yugos are taking the place of Romanians as entry level AK style weapons at Century. At most shops, they cost less, too.

Wow, under $200.00 for a WASR-10!! :o What a deal! I once bought an SKS for under $200.00, but never an AK...

Steve

HC5CA
Master Prepper
Master Prepper

Postby medicmike » Tue Dec 17, 2013 4:24 pm

HC5CA wrote:The trigger slap can usually be cured by using a Tapco G2 trigger.(Mr. Clean was impressed by the G2 that Century put in the M70AB3.) I've put G2s on all my stuff...

I saw a video a while back that showed how to fix a canted sight. It involved removing the front sight block pins, and a rubber mallet... ;) If I was offered a WASR-10 on the cheap, I'd definitely give it a try.

I think the Yugos are taking the place of Romanians as entry level AK style weapons at Century. At most shops, they cost less, too.

Wow, under $200.00 for a WASR-10!! :o What a deal! I once bought an SKS for under $200.00, but never an AK...

Not much on an AK that can't be fixed. There have been some deals in the past :) I remember buying Chinese SKSs at local gunshows for $90, there were several vendors that would show up with stacks of them. FAL R1 kits with the Rhodie paint still on them for less than $100, 1919a4 kits for $250, 1400 round cases of steel core Chinese 7.62x39 for $79....can hardly find a brick of 22lr for that these days :x
"Stand your ground. Don't fire unless fired upon, but if they mean to have a war, let it begin here."
Captain John Parker at Lexington Green
medicmike
Survivor
Survivor

Postby HC5CA » Tue Dec 17, 2013 5:47 pm

I hear you! Ammoman wants $100.00 for a brick of .22 lR. 7.62x 39 is only a little more expensive! :roll:

Link: http://www.ammoman.com/22-long-rifle

Steve

HC5CA
Master Prepper
Master Prepper

Next

Return to Rifles