Get cheap bulk ammo at Lucky Gunner

Emergency Essentials/BePrepared

Oregon Democrats push for background checks on private gun sales

All the news that's fit to read

Oregon Democrats push for background checks on private gun sales

Postby fastback65 » Fri Mar 27, 2015 8:01 am

SALEM, Ore. (AP) - Oregon Democrats introduced a bill Thursday to require background checks on private firearm sales, setting up a showdown with gun rights advocates that will happen as soon as next week.

Gun control supporters have tried unsuccessfully for years to expand Oregon’s background-check requirement to nearly all gun sales and transfers. They poured money into key legislative races last year and now face much stronger prospects with expanded Democratic majorities in both the House and Senate.

“I grew up in Texas, I’ve owned guns for 45 years. I bought my first shotgun when I was 15,” said Democratic Sen. Floyd Prozanski, a bill sponsor. “I think it’s appropriate, as most gun owners would agree, that we take reasonable steps to ensure bad people that are ineligible aren’t getting access to guns.”

A public hearing on the bill is scheduled for next Wednesday.

Oregon would be the eighth state to require universal background checks, according to the Brady Campaign to Prevent Gun Violence, one of several national groups working on expanding the regulation in Oregon.

The measure would require private buyers and sellers who aren’t related to visit a licensed gun dealer for a background check. That goes further than previous attempts to expand background checks, which required only that the seller call an Oregon State Police hotline to check the buyer’s background.

http://www.washingtontimes.com/news/2015/mar/26/oregon-democrats-introduce-gun-background-checks-b/?utm_source=RSS_Feed&utm_medium=RSS
"Never, under any circumstances, ever become a refuge... Die if you must, but die on your home turf with your face to the wind, not in some stinking hellhole 2,000 kilometers away, among people you neither know nor care about." - Ragnar Benson
fastback65
Site Admin

Re: Oregon Democrats push for background checks on private gun sales

Postby medicmike » Sun Mar 29, 2015 6:23 pm

This is what happens when there is a Dem super majority. Was hoping that with the recent downfall of Gov. Kitzhaber they would be a bit hamstrung but it doesn't seem to be the case. :evil:
"Stand your ground. Don't fire unless fired upon, but if they mean to have a war, let it begin here."
Captain John Parker at Lexington Green
medicmike
Survivor
Survivor

Postby fastback65 » Mon Mar 30, 2015 4:39 am

I didn't intend to single out Oregon. I think TPTB would like to extend this to all states. You got to admit though, Oregon has some strange politics. How many Oregon counties are considering joining Jefferson?
"Never, under any circumstances, ever become a refuge... Die if you must, but die on your home turf with your face to the wind, not in some stinking hellhole 2,000 kilometers away, among people you neither know nor care about." - Ragnar Benson
fastback65
Site Admin

Postby medicmike » Mon Mar 30, 2015 4:12 pm

fastback65 wrote:I didn't intend to single out Oregon. I think TPTB would like to extend this to all states. You got to admit though, Oregon has some strange politics. How many Oregon counties are considering joining Jefferson?

All of the southern counties are looking at it, natural choice as we have more in common geographically and economically with northern California.

Yes I think they smell blood in the water once they got it shoved through in Washington State.

But with Kitz' gone we now have the first openly bi sexual governer :roll:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kate_Brown
"Stand your ground. Don't fire unless fired upon, but if they mean to have a war, let it begin here."
Captain John Parker at Lexington Green
medicmike
Survivor
Survivor

Return to News and Current Events