Get cheap bulk ammo at Lucky Gunner

Emergency Essentials/BePrepared

Hand Held Ham Radio on Sale

HAM CB FRS MURS SW Listening, anything goes

Hand Held Ham Radio on Sale

Postby Muleskinner » Thu Jul 11, 2013 7:52 pm

Saw this posted on Slickguns.com. Looked like a pretty good deal. I'm not a HAM operator so I'm unsure of the quality. You decide.

Question for the HAM operators: With a radio like this, is the license required?

http://www.slickguns.com/product/new-baofeng-uv-5ra-ham-two-way-radio-free-shipping-4217
"Those who hammer their guns into plows will plow for those who do not." ~Thomas Jefferson

"Being prepared is sometimes inconvenient, but not being prepared is always inconvenient." - Fred Choate

Molon Labe!
Muleskinner
Master Prepper
Master Prepper

Re: Hand Held Ham Radio on Sale

Postby medicmike » Thu Jul 11, 2013 9:26 pm

My kid (also a General class Ham) has one of these in 2m, it was his first HT when he got his Tech. He said it has been a good radio but doesn't use it much since he upgraded to Motorola HT1000's that the ambulance company he works for had phased out when going to narrow band radios.

That is a heck of a buy! Thanks for the heads up :)
"Stand your ground. Don't fire unless fired upon, but if they mean to have a war, let it begin here."
Captain John Parker at Lexington Green
medicmike
Survivor
Survivor

Postby medicmike » Thu Jul 11, 2013 9:47 pm

So these things have sure gotten cheap! Just pulled the pin and bought this one, will review when it gets here

http://www.amazon.com/BaoFeng-UV-5R-136 ... Feng+UV-5R

Thanks again for the heads up :)
"Stand your ground. Don't fire unless fired upon, but if they mean to have a war, let it begin here."
medicmike
Survivor
Survivor

Postby fastback65 » Fri Jul 12, 2013 8:26 am

Muleskinner, would you like to be a HAM?

To answer your question, you would have to have a license to transmit. Listening is still free, however. HC5CA, my wife, and I are all testers. I am sure we could get you tested. Also, Treehugger is a tester.
"Never, under any circumstances, ever become a refuge... Die if you must, but die on your home turf with your face to the wind, not in some stinking hellhole 2,000 kilometers away, among people you neither know nor care about." - Ragnar Benson
fastback65
Site Admin

Postby medicmike » Fri Jul 12, 2013 8:58 am

I think that being a licensed Ham is a valuable part of my preps, and it is a heck of a lot of fun. Although working FM on VHF/UHF is pretty simple there is a definite learning curve to HF operations, they only way you will be able to operate efficiently in an emergency is practice, practice and more practise. The Tech exam is pretty easy to study for, I spent about 2 weeks going through the practise tests on QRZ.com and missed one question on my exam. Studying for the General or Extra is a bit more work.......have been studying for my extra the last week or so, I need to pick up a good study guide methinks :)
medicmike
Survivor
Survivor

Postby fastback65 » Fri Jul 12, 2013 9:28 am

I will 2nd all of that. My wife and I are both extras and HC5CA and treehugger are extras. Muleskinner, if you want to get a license, got to http://qrz.com, click on the resources tab at the top and look for the practice tests. Select the Technician tests and start taking them. The questions are from the FCC question pool and are worded exactly like they will be on the test. Every time you take the practice tests, the questions will change somewhat, but, they will always be worded exactly like the real test. It is very easy to memorize the correct answers and within a week you will find you are consistently passing the tests. When you are ready, contact me and I will try to set up a test session and we will test you and get your license. Any questions about anything on the tests, ask me or HC5CA. It is very easy to get a technician license and that gives you full access to 6 meters and everything above. Then you can decide if you want to go for the General and Extra. If you do, I can help with that too.
"Never, under any circumstances, ever become a refuge... Die if you must, but die on your home turf with your face to the wind, not in some stinking hellhole 2,000 kilometers away, among people you neither know nor care about." - Ragnar Benson
fastback65
Site Admin

Postby Muleskinner » Fri Jul 12, 2013 10:12 pm

Thanks ya'll for the tip on the tutorial web site. I did register and actually took my first study test. Hmmph... this may be more difficult than I thought. However, it is midnight and it was a heck of a day at work today. I shall endeavor to persevere.
"Those who hammer their guns into plows will plow for those who do not." ~Thomas Jefferson

"Being prepared is sometimes inconvenient, but not being prepared is always inconvenient." - Fred Choate

Molon Labe!
Muleskinner
Master Prepper
Master Prepper

Postby fastback65 » Sat Jul 13, 2013 7:34 am

30 minutes at a time. NO MORE! Memorization is perfectly OK for the technician test. No NOT get frustrated. I have taught over 200 people and I have a 100% success rate. I have had people in my classes that were not sure ho to spell their own name and they got a Tech ticket. You will too. I may have a manual around here, I will look. I would say from my experience as a Volunteer Examiner, more than 90% of the testers rely on memorizing the questions and answers. PM me with any questions.

Here are a couple of other sites that you may like better.

http://www.eham.net/exams/

http://aa9pw.com/radio/
fastback65
Site Admin

Postby medicmike » Sat Jul 13, 2013 8:02 am

Muleskinner wrote:Thanks ya'll for the tip on the tutorial web site. I did register and actually took my first study test. Hmmph... this may be more difficult than I thought. However, it is midnight and it was a heck of a day at work today. I shall endeavor to persevere.

Just keep at it, my scores were pretty dismal when I started, repetition is the key.....you will get it :)
medicmike
Survivor
Survivor

Postby fastback65 » Fri Jul 26, 2013 2:25 pm

I bought two of these for my wife and I. First off, I am surprised at how much can fit into a package this small. They are smaller than a pack of cigarettes. I was able to hit the 146.940 repeater easily and almost full quieting from inside my house. The repeater is about 20 miles from me. I was able to hit several other local repeaters easily as well. The supplied antenna, for lack of a better term, gets out equally bad in all directions. I purchased an aftermarket antenna. it is a 14.4" dual band antenna and it pulled in 440 repeaters that I couldn't hit with the stock antenna. Programming requires an advanced degree in Chinese trigonometry or a better solution is to download the FREE Chirp software. The programming cable for my wife's Wouxon works perfectly. The Chirp software works on an amazing number of radios and is available for Windows, MAC, and Linux. I was able to , for experimental purposes only, program in MURS, GMRS, FRS, as well as 2 meter and 70 centimeter frequencies. The voice is very annoying and you will find it is very easy to disable. All in all, I think it is a winner. For 35.00, it is a welcome addition to my BOB and with the extra frequency capability, I will be in touch with a lot more people. If you are on the fence, buy one. You will not regret it.

Edited to add, it also has a flashlight built in. Why can't some of the big boys do that?
fastback65
Site Admin

Next

Return to Communications