Get cheap bulk ammo at Lucky Gunner

Emergency Essentials/BePrepared

Thoughts on a Hex Beam?

HAM CB FRS MURS SW Listening, anything goes

Thoughts on a Hex Beam?

Postby medicmike » Thu Aug 08, 2013 3:47 pm

Been kicking around the idea for an antenna better than the G5RV and started looking into homebrewing a Hex Beam. Anyone on here use one? Likes? Dislikes?

Have a lot of tree cover at my QTH so I am a bit limited for space when it comes to a beam antenna. Have joined the Yahoo Hex Beam group but of course those guys are a little biased ;)
"Stand your ground. Don't fire unless fired upon, but if they mean to have a war, let it begin here."
Captain John Parker at Lexington Green
medicmike
Survivor
Survivor

Re: Thoughts on a Hex Beam?

Postby HC5CA » Fri Aug 09, 2013 11:57 am

Hi Mike,

I bought a Hex Beam from DX Engineering a while back, and just put it up at my mom's (she lives in the country) last weekend. It does a great job for its size! The SWR bandwidth is under 1:8 over the whole 20 meter band, and less than that on the others. I use a cheapo TV rotor to turn it, and a 40 ft push-up pole to hold it all up. So, it's definitely a thrifty way to go as far as beams are concerned.

I've run 1,200 + SSB and 300 + carrier through it with no problems.

Last night, I talked to a bunch of Europeans, Australians, and even a guy from Lebanon - a country I've never heard on 20 meters!

So, I would recommend it as it's hard to beat for the money/ease of installation! Any question, just let me know...

Steve

Steve

"Give a man a fish and he will eat for a day; teach a man to fish and he will eat for a lifetime; give a man religion and he will die praying for a fish." :-)
HC5CA
Master Prepper
Master Prepper

Return to Communications