Get cheap bulk ammo at Lucky Gunner

Emergency Essentials/BePrepared

HAM setup

HAM CB FRS MURS SW Listening, anything goes

HAM setup

Postby 1985 4runner » Tue Jan 28, 2014 7:39 am

Thoughts?

http://sparks31.wordpress.com/2014/01/2 ... -3-setups/

I have been reading up on HAM since comms are lacking in my preps. I think mobile comms are going to be essential after the collapse & where licensing won't be an issue. That said, given the time I would like to get licensed. Sad to say, communications was my primary MOS in the Marine Corps.
1985 4runner
Prepper
Prepper

Re: HAM setup

Postby fastback65 » Tue Jan 28, 2014 8:05 am

Here are some reviews.

http://www.eham.net/reviews/detail/10271

My thoughts are, lack of 2 meters will be a shortcoming for local communication. If you are a HAM, you know that 10 watts may be able to talk across the country on 20 meters in good conditions, but you may not be able to talk to anyone within 200 miles of you. In an emergency, 2 meter repeaters may not be available, but, with 10 watts you should be able to communicate locally on simplex. Hopefully, medicmike and hc5ca will be along with moire info. On the plus side, the unit certainly is a do all. I am afraid the paddles would be wasted on me, I can receive a little morse code but I can't send for squat.

Similar price wise is the Yaesu FT897d. http://www.yaesu.com/amateur/ft897.html It doesn't have as many bells and whistles, but it does have 2 meters and 70 centimeters and can be used base or portable. There is an available battery that mounts on the side and an antenna tuner that mounts on the side. It can be used low power, (20 watts) with the battery, or 100 watts on HF and 250 watts VHF with a Power Supply.
http://www.universal-radio.com/catalog/hamhf/0897.html

Let us know which way you go and FYI, there are a number of GOOD HAM clubs in your area.

Rick
"Never, under any circumstances, ever become a refuge... Die if you must, but die on your home turf with your face to the wind, not in some stinking hellhole 2,000 kilometers away, among people you neither know nor care about." - Ragnar Benson
fastback65
Site Admin

Postby 1985 4runner » Tue Jan 28, 2014 5:51 pm

Thank you for the quick reply.

Hope you are staying warm & dry in this weather. I will study some more. Thanks again!
1985 4runner
Prepper
Prepper

Postby HC5CA » Wed Jan 29, 2014 3:07 pm

I agree with Rick. The FT 897D is a very handy transceiver. I've had one since 2007, and am very happy with it. However, I do recommend investing in a 2.8 KHz SSB filter and external speaker (an old stereo speaker works fine) for really good sounding SSB.

Steve

"Give a man a fish and he will eat for a day; teach a man to fish and he will eat for a lifetime; give a man religion and he will die praying for a fish." :-)
HC5CA
Master Prepper
Master Prepper

Postby Treehugger » Wed Jun 25, 2014 8:34 pm

I agree the 857D is a handy receiver, so is the Icom 706 Mark II G and the Icom 7100 and 7000. Really any thing that is multimode and covers HF as well as 2 meters and 6 meters.
The 200 miles around you are indeed the hardest area to cover. One thought I have had is to establish relay stations, my idea is that is we use these boards to find out who is in range of you, before any type of emergency it is good to practice talking to people in range of you on simplex so that you don't have to "figure it out" when you need it the most.
Don't forget to put good money into a radio and skimp on the antenna or tuner.....
Treehugger

Postby fastback65 » Fri Jun 27, 2014 4:07 am

What would you guys think of a "Survival Net"? We could always name it something a little less obvious, but it could be a way to keep us like minded individuals connected. We could even have training or a Q&A session. The frequency could be changed for each net and only the invited, would know where we were meeeing.
"Never, under any circumstances, ever become a refuge... Die if you must, but die on your home turf with your face to the wind, not in some stinking hellhole 2,000 kilometers away, among people you neither know nor care about." - Ragnar Benson
fastback65
Site Admin

Postby Oldfart » Fri Jun 27, 2014 6:16 am

Sounds good to me
Oldfart
Prepper
Prepper

Postby 1985 4runner » Fri Jun 27, 2014 10:57 pm

Me too.

I'm hoping to purchase a portable unit by the end of July. I think we are running out of time.
1985 4runner
Prepper
Prepper

Postby fastback65 » Sat Jun 28, 2014 5:49 am

If we want to make this net statewide, we are all going to have to have at least a General Class License so we can operate on the HF band. Tech class can operate voice on the 10 meter band,(28.300Mhz-28.500Mhz), but 10 meters is unreliable for long range. I will work with anyone interested in getting a General Class license. If it is a local net, we can probably work a 2 meter simplex frequency.

There are some established nets and frequencies, but I think a net where we all knew each other would be more beneficial to our group.
Here is a link to more information
http://prepperhamradio.blogspot.com/
fastback65
Site Admin

Postby Oldfart » Sat Jun 28, 2014 2:20 pm

How hard is the general license test?
Oldfart
Prepper
Prepper

Next

Return to Communications