Get cheap bulk ammo at Lucky Gunner

Emergency Essentials/BePrepared

Boy dies after school confiscates inhaler

After all, why survive if your just going to die

Boy dies after school confiscates inhaler

Postby fastback65 » Wed Dec 11, 2013 6:25 am

A 12-year-old boy died in Canada after his primary school confiscated his asthma inhaler, his mother has claimed.

One year after her son Ryan's death, Sandra Gibbons is now pleading with Ontario schools to raise their zero tolerance policy against asthma inhalers, the Globe and Mail reported.

The 12-year-old reportedly fell unwell while playing outside during a recess at his school in Straffordville.

His friends had to carry him to the principal's office, where inhalers were kept under lock and key due to the school's policy prohibiting students from carrying them around.

But by the time they arrived, Ryan was no longer conscious.

He later died October 2012.

Ms Gibbons said she would regularly receive calls from the school asking her to pick up Ryan's inhaler after he was "caught" carrying it around in his backpack.

"He wasn't even allowed to bring it home with him," she said.

While some Ontario schools do allow students to carry their own puffers, policies vary across the state.

Ms Gibbons is petitioning to the local government for unified change.

"Unfortunately, I stand here today to get this bill – Ryan's law – in place so that nobody else has to feel how I feel every day, and that's missing my son," she said.

http://news.ninemsn.com.au/health/2013/12/11/06/05/boy-dies-after-school-confiscates-asthma-inhaler

Added:

There seems to be a desperate shortage of common sense worldwide. I would keep whipping ass until I got one responsible.
fastback65
"Never, under any circumstances, ever become a refuge... Die if you must, but die on your home turf with your face to the wind, not in some stinking hellhole 2,000 kilometers away, among people you neither know nor care about." - Ragnar Benson
fastback65
Site Admin

Re: Boy dies after school confiscates inhaler

Postby HC5CA » Sat Dec 14, 2013 5:01 pm

I'd have been a "goner" if they confiscated my inhaler when I was a small kid, probably... Schools seem to mainly serve to indoctrinate people to be subservient and teaches them to do what authority tells them to do. This usually carries on to later life in most people. That, in my opinion, is one of their primary reasons of existence.

Way back in the 70s when I was in elementary school, there was a policy of keeping all drugs (non-prescription and prescription) at the principal's office. The student simply went to the office to get his or her meds when needed. The staff didn't have any problem with folks keeping their inhalers on them, though...

Link to a good book on education called "The Deliberate Dumbing Down of America." http://www.deliberatedumbingdown.com/MomsPDFs/DDDoA.sml.pdf

Steve

"Give a man a fish and he will eat for a day; teach a man to fish and he will eat for a lifetime; give a man religion and he will die praying for a fish." :-)
HC5CA
Master Prepper
Master Prepper

Re: Boy dies after school confiscates inhaler

Postby Muleskinner » Tue Dec 24, 2013 4:03 pm

Seems like an excellent argument justifying Home Schooling for kids these days.

I don't think a principle knows better than a doctor, when it comes to dispensing medicine, and I don't think a child could be expected to remember to take their medicine, especially when they don't have it on their person.

IMO, if a school official takes control of someone's medicine, it should be a licensed nurse or doctor on the school payroll. That person should be responsible for distributing the kids meds according to the prescription.
"Those who hammer their guns into plows will plow for those who do not." ~Thomas Jefferson

"Being prepared is sometimes inconvenient, but not being prepared is always inconvenient." - Fred Choate

Molon Labe!
Muleskinner
Master Prepper
Master Prepper

Return to Medical