Get cheap bulk ammo at Lucky Gunner

Emergency Essentials/BePrepared

a few first aid kit questions

After all, why survive if your just going to die

a few first aid kit questions

Postby Oldfart » Wed May 07, 2014 11:06 am

1. any body got a must have list that your kit should have in it? Or/also a good place to buy a complete nice kit

2. Antibiotics- got a good place to get some for storing or good places to find them in a time of need?

3. Got a good suggestion on a book to carry with you telling what medicines do what(think you have to break in drug store to find items and need to know what to grab)
Oldfart
Prepper
Prepper

Re: a few first aid kit questions

Postby fastback65 » Wed May 07, 2014 4:47 pm

19854runner and medicmike would be the best to ask. I have used http://alldaychemist.com in the past. Fish antibiotics are the same as human and do not require a prescription. Try searching for fishmox.
fish antibiotics
http://prepperhaven.com/viewtopic.php?f=26&t=1242
medical book
http://prepperhaven.com/viewtopic.php?f=26&t=1221
"Never, under any circumstances, ever become a refuge... Die if you must, but die on your home turf with your face to the wind, not in some stinking hellhole 2,000 kilometers away, among people you neither know nor care about." - Ragnar Benson
fastback65
Site Admin

Postby medicmike » Sat May 10, 2014 8:40 am

My recommendation for a first aid kit would be to start stocking what you are comfortable to use or stock to your level of training. If you don't know how to suture etc I would hold off until the last to get surgical type items. Even if you don't know how to use some of the more advanced items they can be added later for barter stock and as something that can be used by other trained people. Start with bandages (all sizes), lots of Cling gauze wrap, 4x4 gauze, band aids, antibiotic ointments, sterile water/saline, Sam splints are great and don't take up a lot of space, Povidone is a great disinfectant and Vet Wrap is good to have too. A lot of these supplies can be purchased at large animal/farm supply stores.

I keep a pretty comprehensive kit in the car with me at all times and also have several large boxes full of bulkier items and others for restock. My wife is a Critical Care/ER nurse so we have good access and the knowledge to use a lot of items.

Fastback is right on the money with the fish antibiotics. Keep them stored in a cool, dry place and they will last well beyond the expiration date. A doc explained to me how the expiration dates are determined, they store the med in poor conditions, simulating home medicine cabinet storage, once the med starts to lose effectiveness they cut that time in half and that becomes the expiration date with a maximum expiration of 2 years. There are very few meds that become toxic past the expiration. It is widely believed that Tetracycline becomes toxic over time but I have also heard from people that this a just a myth, I don't personally stock it as I am not willing to gamble anyone's life on it. If you have a local large pet supply store you can buy the fish meds OTC in bulk (I get 60 tabs of Penicillin and Amoxicillin for about $20). If you have a doc that is sympathetic to your cause you may be able to get him to cut a script for things that may not be available otherwise (narcotic pain meds, Cipro and other items that aren't available by other means).

Costco/Sam's Club are good for large amounts of other OTC meds. One that is often overlooked is Imodium for diarrhea. In a SHTF scenario this can be a very common but potentially deadly affliction.

As far as the idea of hitting a pharmacy if SHTF, you are going to be stumbling over every other person with the same idea, and trust me, some of these people you are not going to want to run into. I had never considered this a viable option from a safety standpoint not to mention the moral aspect of becoming a looter.

This is just scratching the surface, some other reading that might be useful would be Where There is No Doctor, Emergency War Surgery, any of the EMT/Paramedic textbooks, and basic first aid manuals. Like I said, it is best to tailor your kit to your personal needs and capabilities. Prepackaged first aid kits are usually way overpriced and often filled with useless junk. You are ahead of the game to find a decent small pack and start stocking it yourself.

Feel free to post or message me with any more questions :)
"Stand your ground. Don't fire unless fired upon, but if they mean to have a war, let it begin here."
Captain John Parker at Lexington Green
medicmike
Survivor
Survivor

Postby 1985 4runner » Sat May 10, 2014 9:12 pm

Not much to add to medicmike's post... he nails it.

I keep a stationary kit a home & a smaller one for travel. Identify your needs & build from there. For example, my youngest has special medical needs- so I stock six months of supplies & meds for him on a rotating basis. Don't forget the small stuff, like baby powder or medical tape.
1985 4runner
Prepper
Prepper

Postby Treehugger » Fri Jun 27, 2014 1:50 am

one thing I have learned with my first aid kit is that some of the more common ailments tend to be left out. For instance a lot of kits come with 4 asprin, I stock a small bottle of Advil, not a lot of kits deal with indigestion/diarrhea, So i grab a box of chewable Pepto-Bismol. I throw a whole tube of neosporine in there, along with things like chigger rid, camphoneque ( for bug bites), a thing of the sting relief tubes, etc. The point is, we often think first aid kit and want to get the stuff to fix a huge wound. I keep a first aid kit for the most common problems. It makes my camping/hunting trips turn out better, and if it were a SHTF scenario the stuff would still help.
Just throwing ideas out there.
Treehugger

Postby medicmike » Sat Jul 05, 2014 9:44 am

I absolutely agree with Treehugger's input :)
"Stand your ground. Don't fire unless fired upon, but if they mean to have a war, let it begin here."
Captain John Parker at Lexington Green
medicmike
Survivor
Survivor

Return to Medical