Get cheap bulk ammo at Lucky Gunner

Emergency Essentials/BePrepared

gun shot wounds

After all, why survive if your just going to die

gun shot wounds

Postby Treehugger » Fri Jun 27, 2014 1:42 am

I am thinking about adding to my first aid kit ( field style, hiking/hunting) and I am thinking about adding a way to stop a large wound, such as a gun shot. I do not want to add too much weight or size, it needs to fit in a Bdu pocket. If my kit gets too big I don't think it will wind up going with me. My primary use will be if someone I am hunting /hiking with gets shot, or falls from a stand and has a large wound or something of the sort. The main purpose would be to stop the bleeding to offset the time it would take to get them proper medical attention. Would yall recommend a kit or recommend just putting some stuff together, and what items do you prefer ?
Treehugger

Re: gun shot wounds

Postby fastback65 » Fri Jun 27, 2014 4:04 am

"Never, under any circumstances, ever become a refuge... Die if you must, but die on your home turf with your face to the wind, not in some stinking hellhole 2,000 kilometers away, among people you neither know nor care about." - Ragnar Benson
fastback65
Site Admin

Postby medicmike » Sat Jul 05, 2014 6:05 pm

I would like to add a caveat on the use of tampons for GSW...it should be an absolute last resort to put anything into a wound. If medical attention is available within the "golden hour" (key term used in PHTLS [i]Pre Hospital Trauma Life Support[/i]) This will only complicate the surgeon's job and increase the risk of infection. Tourniquets have now returned to favor in civilian pre hospital wound care after results were studied in their use by medics in the Gulf Wars, I would add a TK to my kit for extreme extremity wounds. A GSW to the thigh can clip the femoral artery causing the patient to bleed out in a matter of a few minutes, the best chance of surviving a wound to the femoral artery would be a tourniquet applied rapidly.

One thing to consider is liability. Even with Good Samaritan laws the reasonable and prudent rule is applied, if your treatment is not considered reasonable and prudent you could face civil or even criminal charges. In a SHTF situation all bets on that are off however.
"Stand your ground. Don't fire unless fired upon, but if they mean to have a war, let it begin here."
Captain John Parker at Lexington Green
medicmike
Survivor
Survivor

Postby HC5CA » Mon Jul 07, 2014 8:18 am

Hi,

Cayenne pepper will istop most bleeding very quickly. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9Vzj8ZW6BM4 http://www.peoplespharmacy.com/2007/09/ ... -pepper-1/

This high-quality "super glue" can be applied to the cayenne pepper (already on the wound) to form a strong clot which can be removed when the victim makes it to "proper" medical personnel. http://www.miracleglue.com/

We used a similar system in the Army. It consisted of a powder in a pouch (think sugar packet) to which medical-grade super glue was added. It worked very well on everything from large cuts to gunshot wounds.

Of course on smaller wounds, you can just pinch the skin together and add the super glue to the top. It will seal the wound very well on its own.

Steve

"Give a man a fish and he will eat for a day; teach a man to fish and he will eat for a lifetime; give a man religion and he will die praying for a fish." :-)
HC5CA
Master Prepper
Master Prepper

Return to Medical