Get cheap bulk ammo at Lucky Gunner

Emergency Essentials/BePrepared

Red Feather Butter from New Zealand

What and how to

Red Feather Butter from New Zealand

Postby fastback65 » Sun Dec 02, 2012 9:58 am

If anyone is still on the fence about ordering canned butter, rest assured, the Red Feather brand is good stuff. The butter is made from the milk of grass fed, free range cattle, and it is delicious. We ordered 6 cans and after opening and eating/cooking with a can, we ordered 2 cases. This stuff is great. Best butter I have eaten since I was a kid and ate home made butter. I highly recommend this butter and I know I have more ordering in my future.
"Never, under any circumstances, ever become a refuge... Die if you must, but die on your home turf with your face to the wind, not in some stinking hellhole 2,000 kilometers away, among people you neither know nor care about." - Ragnar Benson
fastback65
Site Admin

Re: Red Feather Butter from New Zealand

Postby Muleskinner » Sun Dec 02, 2012 8:38 pm

Thanks for the review. Have seen it advertised but have not tried it, yet. In your opinion, how long would 1 (one) can last with normal day to day use. Also,
what sizes do the cans come in and how many cans to a case?
"Those who hammer their guns into plows will plow for those who do not." ~Thomas Jefferson

"Being prepared is sometimes inconvenient, but not being prepared is always inconvenient." - Fred Choate

Molon Labe!
Muleskinner
Master Prepper
Master Prepper

Postby fastback65 » Sun Dec 02, 2012 8:58 pm

Skinner, there is 12 oz. per can and a case is 24 cans or 18lbs. of butter. A can is equal to 3 "sticks" of butter. We use about a pound every 10 to 14 days. Your mileage may vary. We ordered from Emergency Essentials, but occasionally Camping Survival has a special deal that is almost as good.

I have no stake or interest in the company other than I find it is a good product.

From the Red Feather website.

About Red Feather canned butter

Sealed airtight for maximum freshness, our canned butter delivers convenience in the form of extended shelf life and easy distribution without the necessity of refrigeration. Also ideal for camping, boating and remote areas where refrigeration is not freely available.

The free range farming system in Australia and New Zealand allows Ballantyne to produce butter of the highest quality. New Zealand government regulations means that butter is packed under strict quality controlled conditions.

Our factory is ISO, GMP and HACCP accredited. An export permit issued by New Zealand authorities is required prior to the export of any of our canned butter products.

It is available in pallet or 5-pallet quantities.

Packaging Details:
Pallet quantity 81 cartons
Units per carton 24 units
Bar code (unit) 4191900002
Bar code (carton) 10841919000029
Carton Weight (net) 18lbs or 8.16kg
Carton Weight (gross) 23lbs or 10.36kg
Carton dimensions (LxWxH) 410x310x106 (mm)

Shelf Life

There is no Expiration Date written in stone, because the shelf life depends largely on the storage conditions (temperature, humidity, altitude, sunlight/shade, etc.). We do guarantee the shelf life for two years however, the actual shelf life of the butter will ultimately be determined by the storage conditions (temperature being the main factor) and the seal on the can remaining intact and therefore protecting the butter from the introduction of oxygen. After this, one can expect some nutritional value loss, although it will be edible, provide fat and calories in an emergency, and still be perfectly safe to eat if the can remains sealed.

A quote from the National Cannery Association:

"Canned food has a shelf life of at least two years from the date of processing. Canned food retains its safety and nutritional value well beyond two years, but it may have some variation in quality, such as a change of colour and texture. Canning is a high-heat process that renders the food commercially sterile. Food safety is not an issue in products kept on the shelf or in the pantry for long periods of time. In fact, canned food has an almost indefinite shelf life at moderate temperatures (75° F and below). Canned food as old as 100 years has been found in sunken ships and it is still microbiologically safe! We don't recommend keeping canned food for 100 years, but if the can is intact, not dented or bulging, it is edible."
Carton m3 0.01347m3
"Never, under any circumstances, ever become a refuge... Die if you must, but die on your home turf with your face to the wind, not in some stinking hellhole 2,000 kilometers away, among people you neither know nor care about." - Ragnar Benson
fastback65
Site Admin

Postby fastback65 » Sun Dec 02, 2012 9:05 pm

This is the best deal I found tonight

1 Case / 24 Cans of Red Feather Brand Real Butter from New Zealand, 24 Cans
(24) 12 oz. cans of Natural Butter, Indefinite Shelf Life, Imported from New Zealand, No refrigeration required!

Price: $139.40

http://www.readydepot.com/servlet/the-Food-cln-Butter,-Canned/Categories
fastback65
Site Admin

Return to Survival Food