Get cheap bulk ammo at Lucky Gunner

Emergency Essentials/BePrepared

Finally did it !

What and how to

Finally did it !

Postby Muleskinner » Sun Jan 20, 2013 3:28 pm

Recently, I found dried black eyed peas on sale at Wally World for .25/lb. I purchased fifty, 1 lb. bags to put up for storage. So, I have tried a couple of different methods. I put 25 lbs. in a single mylar bag inside a 5 gallon bucket with a lid with an o-ring. I plan to use this one for "long term" storage and not be opened. Then I took 20 lbs. and put 5 lbs. in each of four, 1 gallon mylar bags. Then I placed these 1 gallon bags in a 5 gallon bucket with a GAMMA lid. These will be used short term, hence using the gamma lid for ease of access. The rest of it ( 5 lbs.), the wife wanted to keep out to use now. This is kept in a resealable plastic container in the pantry.

I've wanted to do this for a while now. It was taking up a lot of space on our pantry shelves as I had the mfg. bags stored in 3 plastic totes. Now I have to find a place to keep the 2 five gallon buckets in the house as I don't have a cellar or basement and my garage isn't climate controlled. This, I have found out, is a serious limiting factor, when storing things for prepping short and long term. My wife says she was thinking about this and may have some suggestions. She says she understands why we need to do this, but it just takes getting used to the new mind set for both of us.

My next project is to seal 50 lbs. of rice that we bought in two, 25 lb. boxes from Sam's. We have picked up a box the last two times we have gone there.
Hopefully, I can get this done soon. Now, I just have to figure a way to get a 25 lb. box of rice to fit in my up-right freezer!!

Wish me luck!
"Those who hammer their guns into plows will plow for those who do not." ~Thomas Jefferson

"Being prepared is sometimes inconvenient, but not being prepared is always inconvenient." - Fred Choate

Molon Labe!
Muleskinner
Master Prepper
Master Prepper

Return to Survival Food