Get cheap bulk ammo at Lucky Gunner

Emergency Essentials/BePrepared

The importance of Organic

We can complain that roses have thorns, or rejoice that thorn bushes have roses

The importance of Organic

Postby fastback65 » Sun Jan 12, 2014 8:55 am

This is really self explanatory

"Never, under any circumstances, ever become a refuge... Die if you must, but die on your home turf with your face to the wind, not in some stinking hellhole 2,000 kilometers away, among people you neither know nor care about." - Ragnar Benson
fastback65
Site Admin

Re: The importance of Organic

Postby medicmike » Sun Jan 12, 2014 10:54 am

About 25 years ago I worked a few seasons for a local crop duster outfit, mixing/loading chemicals and doing maintenance on the airplanes (2 Stearmans fitted with 450hp P&W 985s...wonderful airplanes but don't want to run off on a tangent).

We sprayed mostly pear orchards but there were some other crops that we took care of too...this is some of the stuff we sprayed.

Pears,

Winter, they got a water based oil to smother the dormant bugs living in the trees (fairly benign)

Early spring, sulphur to kill the early bugs (still pretty benign)

Late spring, Imidan, a dry powder pesticide, very nasty to work with, came in 50 lb bags and mixed as a suspension in water, it went on every couple weeks until late summer. It would be delivered by the truckload, we put on a LOT of this stuff.

Late summer just before harvest, More Imidan mixed with "Stop Drop" (a hormone to strengthen the stems to keep the fruit from dropping from the trees) along with a spreader/sticker.

Corn, I don't remember the liquid pesticide that we put on the corn but it was highly concentrated and went on at something like 1/2 oz to the acre. Several applications on the maturing corn to kill earworm

Onions, a terrible mix of Lanate, and about 4 or 5 other pesticides and anti fungal and fertilizer, went on about once a week while maturing. This one kind of surprised me as I would think there wouldn't be too many pests that would attack onions. The pilots always complained about having to spray the Lanate, after working with it you could smell it coming out of your sweat glands for days.

Potatoes, they got another witch's brew of nastiness but I don't recall the formula, the spud crops around here weren't that big.

Herbicides would go on the field crops during the off-season for weed control.

We also had a contract with the county vector control for mosquito abatement, some of the marshy areas and ponds got doses of a water soluble oil (this kills the larvae) or Pyrenone, a certified organic pesticide used to kill the adult mosquitos.

I know of at least 2 crop duster pilots that died young from disease one of them developed a very aggressive brain cancer. I have no idea how many years I shaved off of the end of my life by doing this for 2 years.
"Stand your ground. Don't fire unless fired upon, but if they mean to have a war, let it begin here."
Captain John Parker at Lexington Green
medicmike
Survivor
Survivor

Return to Gardening