Get cheap bulk ammo at Lucky Gunner

Emergency Essentials/BePrepared

Garden reports

We can complain that roses have thorns, or rejoice that thorn bushes have roses

Garden reports

Postby Doo Dah1 » Tue May 15, 2012 10:14 am

This morning I hit my garden to cage and stick damaters and peppers. Got it done in less than an hour and say no signs of insects or fungus. Guess I'll quit complaining about all the rain we've been getting. Last year I decided to try to cut down on the use of insecticides. So, I built and placed 4 bluebird houses on the perimiter of the garden. Didn't have to use the sprayer at all.
Doo Dah1
Prepper
Prepper

Re: Garden reports

Postby fastback65 » Tue May 15, 2012 1:32 pm

We got green damaters. They are the purple cherokee and I hope they do well. Plenty of blooms on the other varieties. We planted all Heirloom this year with an eye toward collecting seed. Maybe should start an heirloom seed exchange among our little group. I have some moon and stars watermelon too.
"Never, under any circumstances, ever become a refuge... Die if you must, but die on your home turf with your face to the wind, not in some stinking hellhole 2,000 kilometers away, among people you neither know nor care about." - Ragnar Benson
fastback65
Site Admin

Postby Curtis Loew » Tue May 15, 2012 2:01 pm

You can plant marigolds in between your mater's and it will help keep insects away.
Curtis Loew

Postby Doo Dah1 » Tue May 15, 2012 2:12 pm

Yep, the old folks used the flowers mixed in with the veggies, dusted the crops with ashes and fertilized with manure. Wow, have we come a long way??????????
Doo Dah1
Prepper
Prepper

Postby Curtis Loew » Tue May 15, 2012 7:10 pm

Murphy's Oil Soap diluted with water sprayed on vegetables will keep bugs from attacking also. They don't like the taste of it.......tomato worms can't stand it.
Curtis Loew

Postby Doo Dah1 » Wed May 16, 2012 6:03 am

Wait a minute, "PURPLE TOMATOES"??????
Doo Dah1
Prepper
Prepper

Postby Doo Dah1 » Tue Jun 05, 2012 6:26 am

Here's something to think about. Since our spring/summer gardens are starting to come in, it's time to think about the fall/winter gardens. If you have saved seed that's good. If not, you can pick up seed on line and save fuel. The selection is better than your local co-op's and garden centers also. Here is a tip to consider. Plant collards, rape, kale the last week of july through the 1st week of August. Plant turnips, mustard, radishes starting the 15th of August. Irrigation will be needed but by 1st frost you will have a full blown fall garden. I used to raise veggies commercially and this plan works.
Doo Dah1
Prepper
Prepper

Postby Doo Dah1 » Tue Apr 23, 2013 2:11 pm

Another gardening season is upon us. It's been raining around here for a year but I finally got my spring garden mudded in. Sure hope it works. Hope you fellars have had is easier than me.
Doo Dah1
Prepper
Prepper

Postby fastback65 » Tue Apr 23, 2013 2:54 pm

Janet's yellow Spanish onions are doing great and the Egyptian Walking onions are starting to send out the runners they spread with. She is trying a variety of green peas called Alaska Early and they are just starting to put tendrils for climbing. Herbs are doing good with an AA+ on the chives. The lemon tree is blooming and has actually got a couple of small lemons already. It overwintered indoors. I have raspberries and blueberries planted. No tomatoes yet, probably this weekend. Rosemary is not doing great but it did spend the winter outside.
"Never, under any circumstances, ever become a refuge... Die if you must, but die on your home turf with your face to the wind, not in some stinking hellhole 2,000 kilometers away, among people you neither know nor care about." - Ragnar Benson
fastback65
Site Admin

Return to Gardening