Get cheap bulk ammo at Lucky Gunner

Emergency Essentials/BePrepared

The rewards of my Memorial Day labors

Preserving nature's bounty

The rewards of my Memorial Day labors

Postby fastback65 » Fri Jun 01, 2012 5:48 pm

This is not meant to be a tutorial, however, I could probably do a step by step if anyone was interested. This is how my wife, Myrle07, and I spent Memorial Day.

The first step, and this is important, is to buy the beans already shelled. Great time saver and prevents me from cussing about shellin' them damn beans.
DSC_0054.JPG
DSC_0054.JPG (191.8 KiB) Viewed 2755 times

Don't overcook, in fact, your not really "cooking" them at all. More like an extended blanching. Then pack the jars and add the liquid from the beans. When you get enough to load the canner, load the canner. We cook at 12lbs. for about 70 minutes. This is the actual cooking process.
DSC_0056.JPG
DSC_0056.JPG (144.61 KiB) Viewed 2755 times

After the 70 minutes remove the heat source and let the pressure in the canner return to zero slowly. In other words, LEAVE THEM ALONE until the pressure drops all the way. If you remove the jiggler and drop the pressure rapidly, all the liquid in the jars, which is still pressurized, will be forced out of the jars and you will have a jar of dry beans. Not a good thing. If you did everything right, and why wouldn't you? this is what you will get.
DSC_0058.JPG
DSC_0058.JPG (213.16 KiB) Viewed 2755 times

We did pretty good. We got 15 pints of Butter Beans and 17 pints of Peas per bushel.
DSC_0060.JPG
DSC_0060.JPG (208.74 KiB) Viewed 2755 times

I can't remember who asked about canning meat, but Myrle said to post these pictures of some chicken she canned.
DSC_0061.JPG
DSC_0061.JPG (154.9 KiB) Viewed 2755 times

Well, I have been told we will be canning more tomorrow. I can't wait. :|
If anyone has any questions, PM myrle07 or me and we will try to answer them.

Fastback65 and Myrle07
"Never, under any circumstances, ever become a refuge... Die if you must, but die on your home turf with your face to the wind, not in some stinking hellhole 2,000 kilometers away, among people you neither know nor care about." - Ragnar Benson
fastback65
Site Admin

Re: The rewards of my Memorial Day labors

Postby HC5CA » Sun Jun 03, 2012 3:05 pm

Looks good Rick - buying the beans already shelled in the ONLY way to go in my opinion!

Steve

"Give a man a fish and he will eat for a day; teach a man to fish and he will eat for a lifetime; give a man religion and he will die praying for a fish." :-)
HC5CA
Master Prepper
Master Prepper

Postby fastback65 » Sun Jun 03, 2012 5:58 pm

We did 3 more bushels of Butter Beans, and a bushel of squash Saturday. Monday, I am told we will be canning string beans and tomatoes. Life is good.
"Never, under any circumstances, ever become a refuge... Die if you must, but die on your home turf with your face to the wind, not in some stinking hellhole 2,000 kilometers away, among people you neither know nor care about." - Ragnar Benson
fastback65
Site Admin

Postby Doo Dah1 » Tue Jun 05, 2012 6:10 am

Uh, I have underground storage space available if y'all run out of room.
Doo Dah1
Prepper
Prepper

Postby fastback65 » Tue Jun 05, 2012 8:17 am

We canned 26 quarts of butter beans and 17 pints of speckled butter beans yesterday. Today we are starting on tomatoes. Myrle ordered an All American 30 quart canner yesterday to save time. I guess we are going to can for a while to make up the cost of the canner. Oh well, Squash is coming in and the tomatoes will be ready in less than a week.
fastback65
Site Admin

Postby Redneck_Packrat » Fri May 08, 2015 8:05 pm

How long do you process the squash? (I'm presuming you're talking about yellow squash.) Can't find the instructions anywhere, I know I've done it and done it successfully but can't remember for how long...seems to me like it was 40 minutes but ...???

We're gonna have a LOT of it this year!
Redneck_Packrat

Return to Canning and Preserving