Get cheap bulk ammo at Lucky Gunner

Emergency Essentials/BePrepared

Canning Frozen Foods

Preserving nature's bounty

Canning Frozen Foods

Postby Muleskinner » Thu May 10, 2012 9:00 am

Question: Is it ok to "can" tomatos ( or anything else ) in mason jars, that was previously stewed (cooked), then frozen for short term storage?

We have a container garden growing now and plan to "can" most of the tomatos from it. However, my wife has previously stewed some we got from a friend and then froze them in zip lock bags and stored them in the freezer.
"Those who hammer their guns into plows will plow for those who do not." ~Thomas Jefferson

"Being prepared is sometimes inconvenient, but not being prepared is always inconvenient." - Fred Choate

Molon Labe!
Muleskinner
Master Prepper
Master Prepper

Re: Canning Frozen Foods

Postby fastback65 » Thu May 10, 2012 9:35 am

That is a good question. Other than a textural difference, I don't think it would be a problem. They will likely be mushier than normal due to ice crystals braking down the cell membranes.
"Never, under any circumstances, ever become a refuge... Die if you must, but die on your home turf with your face to the wind, not in some stinking hellhole 2,000 kilometers away, among people you neither know nor care about." - Ragnar Benson
fastback65
Site Admin

Postby Doo Dah1 » Thu May 10, 2012 10:51 am

Sure they can be canned. But let them thaw before putting in jars to go through the process.
Ebay has canning lids(flats only)selling at 8 dozen for 26.99 and free freight. Is this a good price. Just can't remember what they cost at the super markets.
Doo Dah1
Prepper
Prepper

Postby fastback65 » Thu May 10, 2012 12:23 pm

http://www.goodmans.net/i/1902/kerr-00071-regular-mason-jar-lids.htm

Maybe we should do a group buy and split shipping
"Never, under any circumstances, ever become a refuge... Die if you must, but die on your home turf with your face to the wind, not in some stinking hellhole 2,000 kilometers away, among people you neither know nor care about." - Ragnar Benson
fastback65
Site Admin

Postby Redneck_Packrat » Fri May 08, 2015 7:51 pm

Good question that I discovered the answer to last fall.

Sure wouldn't want to put them on a salad :mrgreen: but absolutely yes they can be canned after being frozen, then thawed. The flavor and nutrients will all be there, but as was stated the texture will be more like pureed maters.

I did just this when my canner shot the safety plug bouncing all over the room and I had to hold the batch of tomatoes long enough to get a few safety plugs shipped in. (Of course, found the half-dozen I already had right after the mail truck brought the new ones!)

Let me tell ya, THAT is an experience that is better in the telling than in the experiencing! Not sure if all canners do it, but mine whistled like a banshee for about 2 seconds as it depressured. Scared the crap out of all of us, literally for the poor dog who was in the kitchen!

But yeah, frozen pretty much anything can be thawed and raw-pack or hot pack canned. I've done both, and my observation is that frozen veggies that are raw-packed turn out kinda like fresh hot-packed. I guess the freezing and cell disruption alters the texture about like the extra cooking that happens with hot-pack.
Redneck_Packrat

Return to Canning and Preserving