Get cheap bulk ammo at Lucky Gunner

Emergency Essentials/BePrepared

Home Canning

Preserving nature's bounty

Home Canning

Postby Muleskinner » Mon May 21, 2012 8:00 pm

I remember a thread on this site BTC (before the crash) about the different kinds of pressure cookers that were best for home canning in jars. We are in the market for one now and would appreciate some input and reviews from everyone on what brand you have, how it works for you and maybe where you purchased it from. Thanks.
"Those who hammer their guns into plows will plow for those who do not." ~Thomas Jefferson

"Being prepared is sometimes inconvenient, but not being prepared is always inconvenient." - Fred Choate

Molon Labe!
Muleskinner
Master Prepper
Master Prepper

Re: Home Canning

Postby Doo Dah1 » Tue May 22, 2012 5:49 am

We have been using an old Presto 7 quart canner for around 40 years. 3 years ago I replaced the sealing ring and last year I replaced the pressure valve. Both the old ring and valve were still working but they simply didn't look too good.
Doo Dah1
Prepper
Prepper

Postby fastback65 » Tue May 22, 2012 8:50 am

I would avoid the electric ones. If the grid were to go down, they would be useless. The All American Canner, by most accounts is the Cream of the Crop. It has no gaskets or seals to wear out and at $290.00, it is also the most expensive. We use the Presto 23 quart canner. I got it free from my brother and I replaced the gasket and pressure relief port and it has worked flawlessly. It is also 200.00 cheaper than the All American. You can buy a lot of peas and beans for 200.00 and they can't can't tell the difference between the two. REMEMBER, you can cook in a canner, but you cannot can in a cooker, There are other brands out there, but in my mind, these are the main two. As an aside, Presto has a plant in Jackson and they have an outlet store. I can't swear they are still there, but they were for years.

All American
http://beprepared.com/product.asp?pn=FP%20P030&sid=GOOGLE&gclid=CNWxp5ydlLACFS7Dtgod0Ehyrg

Presto
http://www.pressurecooker-outlet.com/prestop23qtcan.htm
"Never, under any circumstances, ever become a refuge... Die if you must, but die on your home turf with your face to the wind, not in some stinking hellhole 2,000 kilometers away, among people you neither know nor care about." - Ragnar Benson
fastback65
Site Admin

Postby myrle07 » Wed May 23, 2012 10:41 pm

Hope everyone and their gardens made it through the hail storm a couple of days back. After it was over I went out to check and almost cried. My tomatoes and squash were beat down pretty good and had holes a plenty. The next day they bounced back but still had holes . Anyway, has anyone seen or know of any beans or peas being sold by the bushel yet? Also if anyone knows of anyone who sells tomatoes by the bushel PLEASE let me know .
myrle07

Postby Doo Dah1 » Thu May 24, 2012 7:23 am

Myrle07, Is the produce stand on 49 just south of Florence still in business? If so, they will probably have damaters and peas real soon.
Doo Dah1
Prepper
Prepper

Return to Canning and Preserving