Get cheap bulk ammo at Lucky Gunner

Emergency Essentials/BePrepared

wax soaked cotton balls

Making do with what you have

wax soaked cotton balls

Postby Treehugger » Wed May 28, 2014 5:34 am

If you have ever tried to make cotton balls soaked in wax for fuel or fire starter and they didn't work out just right then you probably made the same mistake I did. First, test the cotton ball, this sounds silly but we have gotten some cotton balls that did not burn, when a flame hits the ball it should ignite really fast. Then to wax coat it, melt your wax and get it really thin, then drop the ball in the wax, the pour it on method does not work as well, you need to submerge the ball. Lastly, to use it, cut into the ball and strike your fire into the cut, you should see some cotton fibers present when you cut into it, those are your little wicks.
Treehugger

Re: wax soaked cotton balls

Postby fastback65 » Wed May 28, 2014 6:19 am

Thanks for the tip. I haven't used wax. I use vaseline and then store the balls in old medicine bottles. The vaseline starts quit rapidly. I will give the wax a try. I assume you are referring to sealing parafin as found in stores.
"Never, under any circumstances, ever become a refuge... Die if you must, but die on your home turf with your face to the wind, not in some stinking hellhole 2,000 kilometers away, among people you neither know nor care about." - Ragnar Benson
fastback65
Site Admin

Re: wax soaked cotton balls

Postby Treehugger » Wed Jun 04, 2014 8:03 am

I get the wax from hobby lobby. Candle wax should work and so should paraffin. The good thing about the wax versus the vaseline is the wax isn't messy. If you want to conserve space use the cotton pads for cleaning your face. They are flat and around 1 inch in diameter.
Treehugger

Return to Bushcraft