Get cheap bulk ammo at Lucky Gunner

Emergency Essentials/BePrepared

My idea of survival transportation

What a way to go

My idea of survival transportation

Postby oO_Rogue_Oo » Mon Jul 29, 2013 10:07 pm

Something to get me as far away from "civilization" as I can get. Been working on it for a few years now. Keeps me busy and out of trouble.

The trailer is still a work in progress and since these pictures I've added an "electrical control center". It is meant to serve as a base camp during extended travel. Both the Jeep and the trailer have separate coms capability.
oO_Rogue_Oo

Re: My idea of survival transportation

Postby medicmike » Tue Jul 30, 2013 8:30 am

Great looking Jeep, always likes the Rubicons. Should be a great BOV

Here is the "fun rig" I built a number of years ago. Sold it to a close friend so it is still around.....just no longer mine :(

"Stand your ground. Don't fire unless fired upon, but if they mean to have a war, let it begin here."
Captain John Parker at Lexington Green
medicmike
Survivor
Survivor

Postby oO_Rogue_Oo » Tue Jul 30, 2013 12:43 pm

Nice; I thought about doing a bobbed version of one of those and may still do one in the future after the last of the kids is out of college. That or a unimoog
oO_Rogue_Oo

Postby Jerry D Young » Thu Aug 01, 2013 10:54 am

oO_Rogue_Oo wrote:Nice; I thought about doing a bobbed version of one of those and may still do one in the future after the last of the kids is out of college. That or a unimoog

First, beautiful, well set up rig in the OP. Couple of questions. What is the silverish vertical item next to the Hi-Lift Jack, and, of course, where'd you find it?

I'm interested in the attachments on the spare tire carrier. What is the center plate, and how'd you attach the two bags? It looks like it'll take MOLLE lacing. Any chance of finding out what your comms are and what's in the bags?

And, considering your talent with pictures and working with custom vehicles, I'd sure like to see you do a Unimog conversion and document it here.

Thanks.
Jerry D Young

Postby oO_Rogue_Oo » Thu Aug 01, 2013 4:09 pm

Jerry D Young wrote:
oO_Rogue_Oo wrote:Nice; I thought about doing a bobbed version of one of those and may still do one in the future after the last of the kids is out of college. That or a unimoog

First, beautiful, well set up rig in the OP. Couple of questions. What is the silverish vertical item next to the Hi-Lift Jack, and, of course, where'd you find it?

I'm interested in the attachments on the spare tire carrier. What is the center plate, and how'd you attach the two bags? It looks like it'll take MOLLE lacing. Any chance of finding out what your comms are and what's in the bags?

And, considering your talent with pictures and working with custom vehicles, I'd sure like to see you do a Unimog conversion and document it here.

Thanks.

Thanks very much for the compliments and interest in my rig. The implement next to the Hi-Lift jack is called a Pull-Pal and is a land anchor used when there isn't a tree or fixed point available to anchor my winch to. You can google for it; they are commonly available in the wild.

The comms in my rig are a Yeasu 857-D with the face mounted over the rearview mirror and the radio mounted in the rear of the Jeep in the package tray / storage compartment.

The spare tire attachment is something I custom made; it is a MOLLE plate. It attaches through the spare tire via the two available lugnut openings in the mount holding the spare wheel. The bags hold a variety of recovery gear pictured below.

I have several other MOLLE setups throughout the inside of the Jeep for additional storage; also pictured below.

Radio face and control center for lights and on-board air compressor

Spare tire MOLLE carrier in the raw during fitting stages as I was building it.

Inside tailgate MOLLE setup

On-board compressor and control center electronics, in the engine compartment

GPS on the top of the center stack of the dash

MOLLE storage on both doors

This is what the bags hold on the spare tire MOLLE carrier

Rear bumper has two storage tanks that hold 5 gallons of potable water and has a hand pump. The tanks are cross connected under the Jeep
Last edited by oO_Rogue_Oo on Thu Aug 01, 2013 4:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
oO_Rogue_Oo

Postby oO_Rogue_Oo » Thu Aug 01, 2013 4:14 pm

The black tank behind the spare ties holds 10 gallons of additional fuel. I use a super syphon to get it out
oO_Rogue_Oo

Postby medicmike » Fri Aug 02, 2013 11:45 am

Nice work! Very well set up
"Stand your ground. Don't fire unless fired upon, but if they mean to have a war, let it begin here."
Captain John Parker at Lexington Green
medicmike
Survivor
Survivor

Postby oO_Rogue_Oo » Fri Aug 02, 2013 12:52 pm

medicmike wrote:Nice work! Very well set up

Thank you; still a work in progress; its evolving

I've moved my antennas since these were taken. I have a 2m antenna on top of the sparetire mast on a Breedlove mount and my HF antenna setup is now through the side of the right rear quarter; also on a Breedlove ball mount. I use HAM sticks for HF; at least until I find an ATAS screwdriver antenna
oO_Rogue_Oo

Return to Survival Transportation