Get cheap bulk ammo at Lucky Gunner

Emergency Essentials/BePrepared

No Power !?!?!

Solar, Wind, Hydro, etc...

No Power !?!?!

Postby Muleskinner » Mon Jun 11, 2012 7:33 pm

The storm line just blew through Madison and so far we're doing ok. My sister-in-law just called to say they have lost power. It just got me to thinking... I have got to check into getting a generator. I would love to have a "standby generator" that could run my whole house including the central A/C. As I have it figured from the mfg. website, I will need a 15Kw - 16Kw system to be able to cover startup amps for the compressor. I have also thought of buying a window unit to put in the window of our bedroom and getting a generator that I could use to run just a few priority circuits as well as the window unit. I think this route would be much cheaper but less convenient as far as getting power going during a storm.
I was just wondering, what type backup power systems do some of you have in place? How is it working for you? What would you do different?
Just looking for some helpful ideas.
Thanks
"Those who hammer their guns into plows will plow for those who do not." ~Thomas Jefferson

"Being prepared is sometimes inconvenient, but not being prepared is always inconvenient." - Fred Choate

Molon Labe!
Muleskinner
Master Prepper
Master Prepper

Re: No Power !?!?!

Postby fastback65 » Mon Jun 11, 2012 7:58 pm

I have an 8kw generator that I am going to convert to propane, it currently burns gasoline. I also have 4-12 volt Golf Cart batteries and an inverter that I run my radio equipment and a couple of lights on. I keep a small trickle charger going. Here is a tip, keep a lamp pluged into the inverter so it is easy to get the light on at night. I can operate my 200 watt Yaesu FT-1000D for about a week on the batteries. My 2 meter radios just keep on running. BTW the rain is just now getting to us. It is almost 10:00PM. Lots of wind and very hard rain.
"Never, under any circumstances, ever become a refuge... Die if you must, but die on your home turf with your face to the wind, not in some stinking hellhole 2,000 kilometers away, among people you neither know nor care about." - Ragnar Benson
fastback65
Site Admin

Re: No Power !?!?!

Postby HC5CA » Tue Jun 12, 2012 3:25 am

All of that #$#*( wind took out part of my loop antenna! :-(

Steve

"Give a man a fish and he will eat for a day; teach a man to fish and he will eat for a lifetime; give a man religion and he will die praying for a fish." :-)
HC5CA
Master Prepper
Master Prepper

Return to Alternate Power