Get cheap bulk ammo at Lucky Gunner

Emergency Essentials/BePrepared

Solar panel?

Solar, Wind, Hydro, etc...

Re: Solar panel?

Postby fastback65 » Tue Jun 10, 2014 8:22 am

I just made a pretty large purchase from Emergency Essentials. I am going to have to pass on this one.
"Never, under any circumstances, ever become a refuge... Die if you must, but die on your home turf with your face to the wind, not in some stinking hellhole 2,000 kilometers away, among people you neither know nor care about." - Ragnar Benson
fastback65
Site Admin

Postby Oldfart » Wed Jun 11, 2014 6:49 am

I am about to try my best to "solar power" my shop. I think I have a pretty good hook up on golf cart batteries, is this the best way to go or should I try to find another kind? Basically right now I'm only going to run 110v stuff, fridge, lights and a few plug ins, also would love to be able to run a small 110 ac window unit alittle.
Oldfart
Prepper
Prepper

Postby fastback65 » Wed Jun 11, 2014 7:02 am

What type of inverter are you going to use? If you are going with a 48 volt inverter, I would lean toward a larger battery, If you are going 12 volt, golf cart batteries will be fine, but, they will not have the life span of something like a locomotive or a fork lift battery. Submarine batteries are the ultimate, but very pricey. Get more inverter than you think you will need. Of course, if all your lights and appliances are 12 volt, there is no need for an inverter.
"Never, under any circumstances, ever become a refuge... Die if you must, but die on your home turf with your face to the wind, not in some stinking hellhole 2,000 kilometers away, among people you neither know nor care about." - Ragnar Benson
fastback65
Site Admin

Postby Oldfart » Wed Jun 11, 2014 7:45 am

to be honest I really don't know which inverter. I'm thinking I need the ability to run around 10-12 amps on full draw, but most of the time a good bit less. Only the fridge(medium full size unit) would be "on" 24-7
Oldfart
Prepper
Prepper

Postby Oldfart » Wed Jun 11, 2014 1:31 pm

Also try as I may I'm having a hard time figuring out the 6v or 12v or24v...etc deal, if I am going to run household "stuff" I will need an inverter and based on what I plan on running I think i need somewhere around a 5000watt one? Also I leaning toward getting 3 or 4 12v (or maybe 6v) golf cart battieries, so would this be about right? And I guess 3 good size solar panels? Somebody lay it out for me my brain hurts! lol
Oldfart
Prepper
Prepper

Postby fastback65 » Thu Jun 12, 2014 4:28 am

You need to PM HC5CA. He has some info on converting a chest type freezer into use as a refrigerator. You can run it for pennies a month. A 5000 watt inverter will run a good bit. I would look into running as much as I could on 12 volts and using a smaller inverter for things that can't be run on 12 volts. All your lighting should be 12volt LED. I have 4 12 volt golf cart batteries that will need replacing soon. I am thinking about marine batteries, if I cannot find some serviceable forklift batteries. I would think a 3000 watt inverter would be all you needed unless you are going to run an air conditioner. I think I am going to build a couple of swamp coolers. I remember how hot it got after Katrina.

edited to add:

You would be surprised at the 12 volt appliances available at some of the larger truck stops. Crock pots, microwaves, all sorts of things.
fastback65
Site Admin

Postby Muleskinner » Thu Jun 12, 2014 9:27 pm

fastback65 wrote: I think I am going to build a couple of swamp coolers. I remember how hot it got after Katrina.

FB65 - I know this example is pricey but if you do some searching, this might be what your looking for. We have a couple of these where I work for when we have to work inside of an incinerator and we don't have a lot of time to cool it down normally. It's not air conditioning but it does cool you down standing fairly close to it. If it were used indoors, it would probably cool a room or even a small house to make the summer heat bearable. Ours runs off of 120vac standard receptacle. Just fill the reservoir and turn it on.

http://www.grainger.com/product/PORT-A-COOL-Portable-Evaporative-Cooler-5YMJ3?s_pp=false
"Those who hammer their guns into plows will plow for those who do not." ~Thomas Jefferson

"Being prepared is sometimes inconvenient, but not being prepared is always inconvenient." - Fred Choate

Molon Labe!
Muleskinner
Master Prepper
Master Prepper

Previous

Return to Alternate Power