Get cheap bulk ammo at Lucky Gunner

Emergency Essentials/BePrepared

Solar panel?

Solar, Wind, Hydro, etc...

Solar panel?

Postby Remo » Mon May 19, 2014 4:16 pm

Hi

I'm wanting to play with some solar panels and batteries. I have the Harbor Freight 45 watt kit that I am using to keep car batteries charged on three vehicles I hardly ever drive. What I'm interested in is what it would take to power a desktop computer that I only use to monitor my weather station. I know that I will need to figure out how much power it consumes. How do I find out how many batteries it will take and how many solar panels it will take to runit24 hours a day?

Remo
Remo

Re: Solar panel?

Postby fastback65 » Tue May 20, 2014 6:26 am

Remo, First of all let me apologize for not seeing your post earlier.

The harbor freight 45 watt kit, looks attractive at first glance, but its not really that good of a deal. The cheapest I have seen it is 150.00 and that comes to about 3.00 a watt. There are a number of places you can buy better panels for less than a 1.00 a watt. I have a 85 watt panel and 4 twelve volt golf cart batteries wired in parallel. I have a 30 amp Sunforce controller that I got from Home Depot, (online only),. I can operate a 200 watt radio, (Much more drain than a computer), for a week on the batteries from a full charge. If there is sun everyday, there is plenty of current to operate continuously. I have a 1500 watt inverter, that power the radio. I have used this set up to operate my HAM radios during power outages. I plan to make my HAM shack totally solar powered. I figure I need about 3KW worth of panels. I am looking into buying some forklift batteries. They are very expensive, but they will out last you.
"Never, under any circumstances, ever become a refuge... Die if you must, but die on your home turf with your face to the wind, not in some stinking hellhole 2,000 kilometers away, among people you neither know nor care about." - Ragnar Benson
fastback65
Site Admin

Postby Oldfart » Tue May 20, 2014 6:44 am

I'm interested in this as well, thanks for the info
Oldfart
Prepper
Prepper

Postby fastback65 » Tue May 20, 2014 10:53 am

Would anyone be interested in a group buy fro solar panels? They are a lot cheaper by the pallet and we would only have to pay shipping once. If there is enough interest, I will look into it.
"Never, under any circumstances, ever become a refuge... Die if you must, but die on your home turf with your face to the wind, not in some stinking hellhole 2,000 kilometers away, among people you neither know nor care about." - Ragnar Benson
fastback65
Site Admin

Postby Remo » Tue May 20, 2014 4:52 pm

Thanks for the info. I've been looking at the Home Depot stuff. The spec on the grape solar panels looked good until you said 1.00 a watt. I'll get your # from oldfart and give you a call if that's ok?

Ernie
Remo

Postby fastback65 » Wed May 21, 2014 6:34 am

That's fine, Ernie. You guys are always welcome to call or drop by. Here are some 300 watt panels for .86 cents a watt if you buy a pallet of 20. That woul dgive you a 6000 watt system. They are .90 a watt if you buy singles.
fastback65
Site Admin

Postby Remo » Thu May 22, 2014 5:29 am

I would like to get some forklift batteries after reading about them . Give me a week or two. I may have a connection.

Remo
Remo

Postby 1985 4runner » Mon May 26, 2014 7:51 pm

I'm interested as well.

I would love to learn/obtain solar now before the collapse.

I could go in a couple of hundred on a group buy. This could be a topic that could be discussed in detail if we have a prepper get together?
1985 4runner
Prepper
Prepper

Postby Remo » Mon Jun 09, 2014 4:24 pm

I'm ready to buy 2 or 3 panels. Anyone want to order anything?

Remo
Remo

Next

Return to Alternate Power