Get cheap bulk ammo at Lucky Gunner

Emergency Essentials/BePrepared

magnifying glass fire starter

Solar, Wind, Hydro, etc...

magnifying glass fire starter

Postby Doo Dah1 » Thu Jun 14, 2012 2:46 pm

What power magnification glass would be the easiest to start a fire. It would seem that the more power the better but with shaking hands is that true.
Doo Dah1
Prepper
Prepper

Re: magnifying glass fire starter

Postby fastback65 » Thu Jun 14, 2012 3:10 pm

2x is fine. I would think the larger the better, A glass or two of Makers Mark will help with the shaking and serves as a fine tinder.
"Never, under any circumstances, ever become a refuge... Die if you must, but die on your home turf with your face to the wind, not in some stinking hellhole 2,000 kilometers away, among people you neither know nor care about." - Ragnar Benson
fastback65
Site Admin

Postby Doo Dah1 » Thu Jun 14, 2012 3:43 pm

Those seem to be wise words. In other words, if all you have is 100 proof Wild Turkey, have a couple shots and get somebody else to start the friggin' fire.
Doo Dah1
Prepper
Prepper

Postby SilentHitz » Sun Jun 17, 2012 6:07 am

As a kid I had no problems starting a fire with a 2X...just ask my Mom LOL. Got that thing taken away a couple of times for burning leaves in the yard.
SilentHitz
Prepper
Prepper

Postby Doo Dah1 » Sun Jun 17, 2012 12:26 pm

All you fellars recommend a 2X so I went ahead and got a 10X coming to be different. Thought I might want to solder something. Now to get some nerve calming elixor so I can hold the thing steady.
Doo Dah1
Prepper
Prepper

Postby Porkypine » Sun Jun 17, 2012 8:52 pm

Brer Doo, may I suggest a magnesium fire starter? They work at night and even on stormy days http://www.cabelas.com/catalog/search.cmd?form_state=searchForm&N=0&fsch=true&Ntk=AllProducts&Ntt=magnesium+fire+starter&x=12&y=8&WTz_l=Header%3BSearch-All+Products

As a matter of interest, I've seen people start a fire with a zip-lock bag full of water.....
“Witnessing the Republicans and the Democrats bicker over the U.S. debt is like watching two drunks argue over a bar bill on the Titanic.”
Porkypine

Postby Doo Dah1 » Mon Jun 18, 2012 5:10 am

Bro Pine, I have a couple of magnesium starters. The glass is for backup. Hope the fires aren't around you too close.
Doo Dah1
Prepper
Prepper

Postby Porkypine » Mon Jun 18, 2012 8:00 am

Most of the fires are on the eastern slope, (the other side of the rockies), but as dry as it is here we're going to get it before summers over...
“Witnessing the Republicans and the Democrats bicker over the U.S. debt is like watching two drunks argue over a bar bill on the Titanic.”
Porkypine

Return to Alternate Power